I wanted to write a post on some of my favorite places in Gainesville! There are plenty more than what I will list but I had to start somewhere!! More will be added over time….but if you have some awesome faves, please reach out and let me know!!
Some of my favorites for food:
First, let me preface by saying I love good food. I used to be a cook in several restaurants for years so I appreciate high quality food. I also have a flair for healthy food, and seafood. So, all that being said: here are a few faves: (Not in order of favoritism!)
- Fuji Sushi (Jonesville) They don’t have a website, but here is their facebook info in case you’re in the area and want to try a quaint but great sushi place: https://www.facebook.com/NewberryFujiSushi/
- Dragonfly Sushi (Downtown Gainesville) http://www.dragonflyrestaurants.com/ Okay, so I have a thing for good sushi. But I only like cooked sushi. Anyways, Dragonfly is a bit upscale, which I like. I think if you are going to spend money on food, it may as well be worth it. 🙂
- Since we are on sushi, Ichiban http://www.ichibanflorida.com/ is preettty awesome. I have a thing for the fried seafood sushi, and they have a pretty awesome couple choices on that. They also have a super awesome roll that has fruit in it, including banana. So it’s like, islands meet Japan or something. If you like either, you can appreciate it. 🙂
- Okay so I’m also a big fan of Italian. Villagio’s in Newberry, FL http://villaggiospizzeria.com/ has some of the best pizza around. I like the white pie, and I add broccoli and garlic. Again, we all have our tastes, and some of us a little more outside the box. Like me. Anyways, the pizza there is worth the drive if you are in Gville. Bon Appetit!
- One of my other favorite Italian restaurants is Piesano’s, http://www.piesanostogo.com/ who also has awesome pizza. If you like beer, the one downtown has a great selection on draught I noticed. 😉
- I can’t leave Blue Highway Pizza out!! http://www.bluehighwaypizza.com/ I love their calamari, and their signature salad, The Blue Highway Salad is the bomb. 😛
- So far, the best “bang bang” shrimp has been both at Wahoo’s http://www.wahooseafoodgrill.com/(they call it by another name, but it’s still great bang bang shrimp) and then of course Bonefish grill, https://www.bonefishgrill.com which has a great “happy hour” day on Wednesday evenings where you can get the bang bang shrimp for half off!! It’s spicy, crunchy and has a sauce on it, so it has great flavor and texture. 🙂
- There is a new place I tried off Archer Rd. in the plaza near Tower Rd. and it’s called Backstreet Blues Chophouse and Oyster Bar. https://www.facebook.com/Backstreetblueschophouse/ They are a bit more pricey than Gainesville is used to. But they have great food and one of the dark beers they have on draught is called, Shake. And it taste’s sooooooo good. It’s like a chocolatey dessert. So good. I had the Bourbon Salmon. I have not tried the oysters but they had the best selection I’d ever seen at a restaurant. This place is definitely for food connoisseurs.
- Emiliano’s is another fave. http://emilianoscafe.com/ Catering to South American flavors, this restaurant embraces flavors with fine eating, leaning more toward the healthier side, which is the best combination. The location is phenomenal, and you can enjoy a mojito while sitting outside observing the local Gainesville scenery while you also enjoy some great ceviche or yummy plantains, or a variety of other foods!
- Although, I’m not really into “chain” restaurants, BJ’s Restaurant has one of the best selections of great food that I’ve seen in a restaurant. https://www.bjsrestaurants.com/ They also have a great variety of beer on draught for those who like beer.